Monday, April 5, 2010

Tortillas and Turkey

I revere this book. I had to have it. And my mom gave it to me. I don't know if it's hers or if she found it at an estate sale or what, but I love it. It has the history of American food and other and whatever. I love it. I read it like a novel. I read most cookbooks like a novel. I love them. But this is a favorite. I wanted to make homemade tortillas this weekend. I'm not super into making bread, but I thought making tortillas would be fun. Wraps and stuff, yanno?2 cups flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 T. butter
1/2 to 3/4 c. water
How's THAT for preservative free?
Dough.
Couldn't find my rolling pin, so used a can of green beans. I made whole wheat tortillas yesterday and discovered that the Pam Spray can works better. Where is my rolling pin?!
Assembly line.
The recipe says to cook them sans fat. I'm all about that.
The stack of goods. The pictures I didn't take of the whole wheat ones are better. They are much, much thinner and have a whole lot more fiber, and I'm not ingesting the poison that manufacturers put into bread. Right?
My yummy sandwich. Homemade tortilla, turkey, spicy mustard, swiss cheese and lettuce. WiN!
And then I cooked a turkey. Stuffed it with apples and onions.
Then wrapped it up because The Pioneer Woman told me to.
Notice the change of scenery. My gas oven decided to die on me about an hour and a half into the turkey cooking. WHoooom! And then click click click and then Whooom! and then click click click click. My oven was going to kill me. So I took the whole shebang upstairs. NOT happy, but whatever. Done turkey is better than nothing.
Two hours in, I took off the foil and basted it with butter. YUM. Serious yum.
Look at that golden baby. I didn't take pictures of the desecration (carving) because it was awful. I'm not so good with the demise of the turkey. But I now have six freezer bags full of individual sized portions of turkey and I made turkey tacos tonight. Whee! Taco mix, shredded turkey, lettuce, slalsa and cheese make me very happy. On homemade tortillas! Sigh. I'm so tired, I can't even tell you how happy I am.

3 comments:

The Good Cook said...

Kate,

All I can say is YUM. YUM. YUM. Can you tell I am impressed? And that book? How is it I don't have that book? I have over 500 cookbooks but I don't have that book. I may have to stage a commando raid on your basement kitchen and kidnap that book. Seriously. I need that book. Dam. I have book envy. I am going out on the internet right now to FIND ME A COPY OF THAT BOOK.

carrster said...

Delicious!! I'm impressed with your tortilla making skills! I'm way too lazy for that. :)

The turkey looks awesome. Mmmmm, roasted turkey...Now I'm hungry!

Anonymous said...

homemade tortillas for the win!!!

yummy with turkey
yummy with peanut butter and jelly
yummy quesadillas
yummy yummy yummy

:)