Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Grandma's Love

The following recipe is my grandma's. I make this chili quite often, as it reheats well and you can change it up in a number of ways. My mom doesn't like things with beans or tomatoes and yummy stuff like that, so we only ever got it at my grandma's house. She's now 92, still living alone, driving herself to the grocery store and pulling weeds a little bit every day in the summer. I love her. And I love that I have this recipe of hers. Now it's yours.

Layered Chunky Beef Chili

3 1/2 lbs. bottom beef round or boneless chuck
2 T. vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 oz. can tomatoes
2 c. beef broth
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
3 T. chili powder
1 1/2 t. dried oregano
1 t. ground cumin
1/4-1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 t. sugar

Cut beef into 1/2 " cubes. Heat oil in large pot until sizzling with a drop of water. Stir beef, onions and garlic in oil until beef is browned. Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1-2 hours.

How I change it up: I use a combination of turkey burger and canned beans to equal the 3 1/2 lbs. beef. I just brown the turkey like it says to do for the beef and add the drained beans when I dump the rest of the stuff in the pot. And I usually just put it all in the crock pot and leave it all day. Some people add things like green peppers, but I don't. I like it like this.

I serve it with shredded cheese and sour cream if I'm feeling naughty!

No comments: